Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Monday, September 11, 2006

Weekend Update or What I Stole From the Emergency Room


Somewhat (although not exactly) like a mother, a nanny's work is never done. That is especially true when the nanny in question has friends prone to odd medical conditions. This Saturday, instead of lounging in some beautiful cafe having brunch with a wildly attractive, incredibly intelligent man (or 3 close girlfriends, but hey, a girl can dream, right?) I spent seven hours in Bellevue's Emergency Room.

Really, though, I cannot complain. It was exciting, there was medical drama, (mildly--not wildly) attractive interns, relatively decent vending machines, and all around good people. Shout outs to Miriam and Raoul, the best orderlies we could ever hope to be wheeled around on a gurney by. (Although, since Hannah and I just assigned Raoul the name Raoul because we never asked his name, he's not going to know that it's him. Sorry Raoul--we think you're cool whatever your name is.)

I attempted to document the entire process with my camera, however, two large police men were sent over to Hannah and I around hour number two to tell us that, "Everyone knows you can't take pictures in the Emergency Room." I meekly put my camera away and decided not to quibble with them, despite the fact that, clearly, not everyone knows that. Before my journalistic efforts were shot down I did get a few good ones.


Here are Hannah and Raoul right before Raoul wheeled her up for her (completely unnecessary) chest x-ray. Doesn't look like Raoul knows you can't take pictures in the Emergency Room either.


Here's a close up of Hannah's arm where the poor intern assigned to her tried desperately to find a vein. Notice that Hannah is about the whitest person alive. She doesn't have veins apparently.


This is bad Hospital art.


I know this picture is a bit fuzzy, but it's a rubber glove dispenser. Everyone at Bellevue wears the coolest purple rubber gloves. I fell in love with them immediately and I managed to smuggle 3 pairs out in my bag! I have no clue what I'm going to do with them, but they are purple, they are awesome and they are mine.

Hannah is much better now, and the crack team at Bellevue, led by Dr. Goldfrank (exactly what you'd want in a Chief of Staff, he could join the cast of Grey's Anatomy in a heart beat), diagnosed the cause of the intense pain that sent us to them in the first place: massive gallstones. We saw them clear as day on the ultrasound (run by Bernard, a radiologist who was very cute and declined to give us his last name) like two little golf balls rattling around inside Hannah's apparently unvital organ. It seems that her gallbladder will soon be coming out. I'll keep you up to date on what she does with it once it's liberated. It's bound to be good, whatever she does.


Technorati Tags: , , Emergency Room, Bellevue

5 Comments:

Anonymous Betti said...

I didn't know that photos aren't allowed in emergency rooms . . . good for you to document the visit anyway!. :)

Last time I was at an emergency room, Mr. Hubby (then Mr. Boyfriend) had to stop a nurse from giving me a catheter and injection intended for someone else of the same first name. "She's perfectly capable of peeing whenever she wants, and she hasn't been seen by a doctor yet, how on earth do you know what she needs?" Just extra motivation to stay healthy in my town!!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord, I look dreadful in those pictures! You should have told me to put on some makeup! And please, internet, know that my head is not that small and my hips are not that wide!

"Hannah"

9:39 AM  
Blogger carli said...

It's a little sad that I looked at your picture, recognized it instantly from one horrible night from August 2005 and said, "Oh, that's Bellevue."
Hope your friend feels better. Dig the blog.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

Yes, thanks Carli, Hannah is better now & looking forward (ok, that's exaggeratiion) to having the gallbaladder taken out.

-Annie

5:40 AM  
Blogger Kathrine said...

The interns are cute, aren't they? I highly recommend.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home