Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Monday, September 11, 2006

In Memoriam



This article hangs in the hallway of Drew's school. The first time I read it, years ago, I cried. I think that was the one and only time I allowed myself tears over the events of September 11, 2001.

This day is a confusing one for me. I did not lose anyone on 9/11, nor did anyone whom I am close to. Also, I love the neighborhood I work in and it exists as it does today in large part because of the attacks. I did not have a personal relationship with the towers. At face value I have nothing to mourn. And yet I cried when I read about the Washington Market children and thought of them in the weeks and months following that day, so I know that I do mourn, in my own way.

I mourn the loss of innocence, from the children, my city and my country. Once gone, it is something you can never regain.

1 Comments:

Blogger shel said...

one block at a time. great article. thank you for sharing. :)

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home