Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Blogging from the Floor While Curled Up in the Fetal Position

Thanks to A Little Pregnant for the heads up about a London newspaper article which reported yesterday that the first womb transplant is expected to occur within the next two years.

Apparently IVF is not an option for a woman who's uterus has been damaged because of injury or disease, so womb transplant would give hope to many women who wish to carry their own biological child. The article was difficult for me to get through, just because the idea makes me kind of want to double over and protect all of my vital organs, not that I think they'd take my womb--the operation uses an organ from a dead donor--but just because the idea is so very . . . ick! I don't feel that way about the concept of heart or liver or kidney transplants. I wouldn't want to watch one of those operations, but I'm fine reading about them. Something about the idea of scalpels around that particular part of my body just strikes my roll-into-a-ball reflex. I don't like thinking about Caesarean sections either (the only delivery choice, apparently, if you have a womb transplant).

But, now that I've unfurled myself enough to reach the keyboard, I have to say that I really don't like the idea of this operation becoming widespread. I understand that I have not gone through the traumatic experience of trying and failing over and over to conceive a child. I know that the instinct to pass on one's own genetic material is quite strong. I know that I cannot stand back in judgment of what others choose to do with their bodies. I know all these things. But, I also know that for every mother who cannot conceive there are hundreds of children who need homes and parents and love. These are children who already exist. Children who don't require costly operations, drugs, hormones, injections, scars and pain.

I wouldn't want to be the one who stands in the way of science (especially since it's impossible for me to stand in the way of science--I'm not that big) but I hope that before this incredibly expensive operation is ever performed the doctors do their best to present all of the options, especially the non-medical ones.

Oh, and is it just me, or is this picture WAY creepy:




Technorati Tags: , , Adoption

4 Comments:

Anonymous Betti said...

Bleh - I've got to agree that the creepy-facor for womb transplants is pretty high. I tend to have unpopular opinions towards some forms of fertility treatment; I think that helping out a baby in need of a family is a more compassionate use of time and money than forcing a woman's body into doing something it isn't equipped for.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

It's just too progressive for me! I have to agree about adopting the children that are already out there without families to love them.

How do you intertwine science and ethics without sounding like a fundamentalist Bible thumper? I don't know the answer either...

1:19 PM  
Blogger pinknest said...

i agree that the idea of a womb transplant sounds a little creepy, but most likely because we're not used to it. i don't know. i mean, liver and heart transplants must've seemed so crazy when they first tried them! and here i am, still trying to get over the idea of a face transplant!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

"These are children who already exist. Children who don't require costly operations, drugs, hormones, injections, scars and pain."

...See, now, that's how I feel about it.

But then I've never even attempted to have children, so hey, what do I know?

;-)

Seems a little scary to me, anyhow.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home