Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Because I Haven't Mentioned Breasts in a While

This month Toys R Us employees at the Times Square flagship store made a big mistake. They allegedly harassed a mother who had stepped into an "out of the way" place in the store to breastfeed her 7-month-old son. Unfortunately for them, Chelsi Meyerson, the mother, is the daughter of a "'high-ranking official' in La Leche League". It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Meanwhile . . .

Here are a few of my most favorite pieces of public art. Notice a theme?

Eyeballs or Breasts?

This is a sculpture by Louise Bourgeois on the lawn in Wagner Park. It's entitled "Eyes" but, I must say, I see something entirely different, especially since I've never known a pair of eyes to have raised pupils. Also, in researching her work I found this passage:
Deeply symbolic, her work uses her relationship with her parents and the role sexuality played in her early family life as a vocabulary in which to understand and remake that history. The anthropomorphic shapes her pieces take--—the female and male bodies are continually referenced and remade--are charged with sexuality and innocence and the interplay between the two.
which makes me quite believe that my interpretation of her art holds some authority.

Pink Nude

I snapped this photo during one of Luke and my jaunts to DUMBO. I haven't yet discovered the artist's name, but I love that it's pink and so wonderfully proportioned as to make me feel that my waistline isn't quite so much in need of slimming as I often fear it is.

And finally . . .

Statue in SoHo

As my friend DJ says, "If one glass of red wine is good for you, well, then a bottle must be even better!", so if one set of breasts is good, then a set of 8 must be very useful indeed. This statue would come in handy for nex year's Nurse-In.


Technorati Tags: , , Public Art, La Leche League, Toys R Us

4 Comments:

Anonymous JGS said...

Not only am I big fan of this subject matter, but as a father of twins, I would think that a set of 8 breasts would be incredibly useful with multiples - twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc. Sure a bit unmanageable and not helpful in most other areas of one's life, but functional with lots of babies.

1:13 PM  
Blogger pinknest said...

love the sculpture theme! lol!
this would be a lovely gift:

http://tinyurl.com/rkja3

12:11 PM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

I love it, Pink! And oddly enough, I know plenty of people for whom it would make an excellent gift.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Pragmatic Chaos said...

Bwah! Awesome. Love your collection of photos there. Very cool and I gotta say, the theme is one of my favorites.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home