Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thursday Goodie Report

Luke and I have been taking a kind of Mommy and Me yoga class with Bernard, a little boy we met at one of the Battery Park playgrounds, and his mother. It's a great class and I've been enjoying the structure, because I'll blow off my own yoga class in a heartbeat, but it's hard to blow things off when you know you the consequences will be having to deal with a very disappointed little boy. The class is in Dumbo, an area of Brooklyn right across the Harbor from Lower Manhattan (Dumbo = Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass). It's not the easiest part of Brooklyn to get to from Tribeca, but we've actually worked out a pretty cool schedule for Mondays and Wednesdays.


So twice a week Luke and I get on board the Water Taxi at the World Financial Center and take the 1/2 hour ride which does a little pirouette in front of the Statue of Liberty (I guess more tourists than commuters actually ride this thing) to the Fulton Ferry Landing in Dumbo. I find the ride a little on the icky side because we have to stay inside the boat and can't go outside to get a little air (there's a height restriction of 41 inches, I think). I don't get sea sick, per se, just a little queasy. Luke, on the other hand, can't get enough of the boats and the water and the novelty of not being on land anymore.


Dumbo has a ton of little jewels if you are in the market for goodies. (I'm going to have to devote a serious post to Jacques Torres sometime soon.) Today, however, Luke and I are obsessed with the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. It's in a cute little former fireboat house and if you've come to Dumbo via the Water Ferry, you really can't miss it because it's right there at the ferry slip. I've never tasted a better peach ice cream, and usually I don't love fruit flavored ice creams, but this one simply can't be missed.


I've read that all of the toppings served at the BICF are made by the pastry chef of The River Cafe, which is right next door. I just recently had dinner at The River Cafe and will have to post about that as well because it was a fabulous meal, perhaps the best I've had in my ten years of living in NYC. Luke and I didn't really indulge in any toppings, because usually we're ice cream purists, but now that we know who has a hand in making all the yummy looking sauces, we might just make an exception on Monday.


Technorati Tags: , , Dumbo

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! We don't have ferries here in CO (no real water to speak up) so that seems really neat!

10:39 AM  
Blogger shel said...

damnit! i need to make a trip to ny. i've always wanted to visit and now with all your descriptions of places, i REALLY want to visit! i'd buy your tourbook!

11:32 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

i LOVE the vanilla ice cream from the brooklyn ice cream factory!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home