Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Only in New York

As a New Yorker who lived through both the day September 11, 2001 and the continuing aftermath, there are many new things that I have had to grow accustomed to. For the most part these changes have become just a part of daily life, something that I now almost take for granted, or don't notice much at all. Some of these things include police checking backpacks sporadically on the subway and showing my ID to gain access to the office buildings where my friends with "real jobs" work.

However, there are some things that I never, ever felt like I would get used to. One of those things was the presence of National Guard troops in places like Grand Central Station. I honestly believe that I, as an American citizen, should have the inalienable right to get my coffee, grab the paper, stroll through GCS on my way to work and NOT be accosted by a fully loaded massive machine gun that probably weighs more than the two-year-old I cart around all day. It's really weird, but when I see them I almost always feel suddenly guilty. It makes absolutely no sense. I think you will believe me when I tell you that I have never, ever, ever contemplated anything that could be considered (even by the most partisan, activist of judges) as a threat to National Security. And yet, when I see large contingents of heavily armed camouflaged men I suddenly feel like they're all looking for me, that they all know I've done something terribly wrong and that I deserve to be hauled off to some secret CIA Prison.

Needless to say, I've been very happy working in downtown New York precisely because of the lack of a large military presence. So, you can imagine my consternation when, on my way down to Rockefeller Park with Luke yesterday morning I encountered this:


Instantly my pulse rate went up. "What could possibly be wrong in the park?" I thought. Then I immediately wondered if they were on to me. I'd tossed my coffee cup into the trashcan on the subway platform carelessly this morning and it had hit the rim and bounced out. I was in a hurry and I didn't go back to pick it up. Was that a prosecutable offense? Did they suspect? Did they know?

But, as I steeled my nerve to continue on the path through the crowd of service men, I suddenly became a tiny bit suspicious myself. Several of the camouflaged men were smoking. An inordinate number of them were women. Several had sodas and were lounging on the park benches. And then, as I was still puzzling over the inconsistencies before me, I heard the strident, but still oddly musical tones of that particular affected, brazenly effeminate Chelsea accent. I am very proud to say that I managed, amid my own personal paranoia, to put all the pieces together before we rounded the corner and saw the craft service table.


So, does anyone know what kind of movie they could possibly be filming in our sweet little innocent park that would need such a large platoon of scary looking soldiers?



Technorati Tags: , , Movie Sets,

3 Comments:

Blogger Pragmatic Chaos said...

lmao! What a twist. I didn't see that one coming.
Why didn't you ask the "soldiers?" Maybe you could be an extra or something! That could be cool.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

"I see large contingents of heavily armed camouflaged men I suddenly feel like they're all looking for me, that they all know I've done something terribly wrong and that I deserve to be hauled off to some secret CIA Prison."

I feel that way if I ever walk past a policeman/woman in the street. I feel like he/she is LOOKING at me, and KNOWS that I killed that wasp earlier and laughed at a non-PC joke, and is just WAITING for me to slip up like that in front of witnesses.

Paranoia is rife these days.

Wonder if that's what our respective governments wanted.

Because that's exactly what they've got.

Anyhow, "pragmaric chaos" has a very good point; maybe you could be an extra if you asked nicely.

It WOULD be cool.

;-)

xxx

3:23 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

lol!! you're paranoia ending up at a crafts service table is hilarious. i was just in grand central last night and commenting about the troops. did their uniforms change? they seem a little...well, uglier.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home