Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ladies: Evolution Favors Us (as if you didn't already know that)

Attractive parents are 36% more likely to produce female offspring than male. That is according to evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa who interviewed 2,972 randomly selected young adults who were parents in 2001 and 2002. Kanazawa is in no way surprised by the recent births of both Shiloh Jolie-Pitt and that other baby born into that cult.

The reason for this trend is simple, if you're Kanazawa, that is.
Because men value physical attractiveness more than women do when looking for a mate, good looks increase the reproductive success of daughters much more than that of sons.
And . . . it gets better:
His theory also suggests that, over time, women should have become more attractive than men. These data confirmed his hunch. More than half of all women in the sample -- 52 percent -- were rated as "attractive" or "very attractive," compared with 42 percent of the men.

This news doesn't seem to be getting many men down, however. Apparently, if it's ok that I'm judging based solely on the hysterically informative and delightfully oversexed blog of the Wilmer Valderrama of Scientists, they see this as a glass half full situation.


Technorati Tags: , , Sex, Parenting

6 Comments:

Blogger Waya said...

He's onto something about the "men favors looks in a mate". Check out the less than attractive musicians and their beautiful model wives, i.e. Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Because, you know, we can ALL agree on who is attractive and who isn't... Totally funny.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Chief Scientist said...

We can't agree, I agree, which is why I have decided things like who can wear designer jeans and midriff shirts will be determined by a committee consisting of ... me.

Wilmer

7:14 PM  
Blogger icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Which explains why I have two daughters (who are gorgeous, I might add.)

8:01 PM  
Blogger h&b said...

Great.
I'm ugly, my partner is ugly. I know this as we produced a BOY.

What about all the hot men celebs I drool over on a daily basis. Ugly parents? - I think not.

But thanks, as the damage to my psyche is already done ;)

4:55 PM  
Blogger Library Lady said...

Hey, I've got 2 girls. Does that mean I'm cuter than I think I am?

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home