Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Monday, August 07, 2006

Have I mentioned that I Heart Dooce?

One of the best parts of Dooce is her monthly newsletters to Leta (rhymes with Pita). This month was no exception. The following passage almost made me wet myself:
One afternoon last week your father and I took you to the grocery store, and while we were standing in the parking lot loading bags of food into the back of the car I set you down so I could help lift a jug of orange juice. After turning my head for only two seconds to look at the car I glanced back at you only to find that you had found a cigarette butt on the ground and had put it into your mouth. A discarded cigarette butt. Some mothers would be mortified, and I felt a little bit of that, but the strongest emotion I felt was gratitude. I was so glad that there wasn’t someone nearby taking photos because then I would have to explain why I let you smoke cigarettes. And the truth is pretty simple, really: We’re country. My Mama used to let me smoke cigarettes while I sat on her lap in the front seat of a moving vehicle. Many times she would accidentally hit a raccoon with the car, and we’d take it home and put it in the refrigerator. No big deal.
And for those of you, like my mother (I bet), who don't get the reference, I have only this to say: Watch more crap TV.



Technorati Tags: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I Heart Dooce as well. :) I've never failed to thoroughly enjoy one of Heather B. Armstrong's posts.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Your Mother said...

And I thought that the reference to putting the dead raccoon in the refrigerator was connected to the things I put in our refrigerator when you were growing up. Guess I've missed something important, huh?

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home