Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Few Choice Words About "Obscenity"

I was Mommy-Blog browsing this evening and just found this article via Baby Powder. It was published on Friday, the same day that "Lactivists" staged a "nurse-in" on the A train here in NYC.

I'm not going to go on an all out rant about this because it's late and I don't have the energy, but I do not want to let this moment slip by without at least commenting on it. In the article (about the pictured Babytalk cover) women--GROWN WOMEN--used the following words to describe their feelings toward a woman nursing her child: shocked, offended, horrified, embarrassed, and others described the picture as "gross" and "disgusting". Something is wrong with a country where a network television channel can show a blood and semen spattered corpse in the 8-9pm timeslot but if they dared to show a woman nursing a child the FCC would come in with obscenity fines.

On Friday I almost wished that I was a lactator so that I could fly into lactivist mode. It is true that I hate the government telling women what to do with their breasts. But even so, these are the words I would pick to describe how I feel about women who think breastfeeding a child is obscene: amazing, outrageous, ridiculous, astounding, unconscionable, abominable, inconceivable, astonishing, incredible, unimaginable, odious, repugnant, rotten, unthinkable, implausible, preposterous, improbable, contemptible, despicable, inconceivable, unbelievable, incredible . . .



Technorati Tags: , , Indecency ,

3 Comments:

Blogger icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

yep. My thoughts exactly.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I just DO NOT understand why seeing a woman breastfeeding is obscene, or even slightly indecent. THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE FOR, FOLKS! Men can run around without shirts on, and their nipples are only for show. How is something useful not considered decent?

5:06 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth K said...

Peoples is crazy. That's what I have to tell myself. I don't get what is so shocking, indecent or obscene about breast feeding.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home