Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Tuesday Goodie Report

Yesterday I took Jill, Drew & Luke (Jill was home from camp with the summer sniffles) to get "tea" with one of my friends. We cabbed it over to the Lower East Side because after brunch on Sunday I'd been reminded of two places that are must-gos with the kids. The first was Teany, which is co-owned by bald, political, progressive musician Moby. It's a tiny (big surprise) tea shop that's completely vegetarian and largely vegan but remarkably yummy. They have a tea service with sweet little sandwiches, yummy scones and little deserts including a chocolate-mousse -like thing which is sooo good, but vegan, which makes me wonder what exactly is in it. I do try to avoid questioning things I like too much, though.

On another day I will devote the proper amount of time to Teany that it deserves, but today I want to talk about our second LES stop: Economy Candy. The store, which has every kind of candy, nut and chocolate that you can imagine, has been operating continuously on the LES since 1937. The kid's eyes simply bugged out over the variety and abundance of candy that EC has to offer. Jill actually went into an overload state where she simply couldn't even begin to decide on what ONE thing she wanted to claim as her treat.


Finally, after I threatened that we would go home with nothing, she chose a selection of pink and purple pastel M&Ms. I told her that they definitely fit in with her personal aesthetic, which I then had to try and explain! Why don't I keep my mouth shut?


I also realized, too late, that it was a completely masochistic thing to introduce Drew & Luke to Pixie Sticks, but you know, when in Rome . . .


I found the massive display of candy cigarettes very tempting for the nostalgia sake and the fact that I've always just loved those weird chalky sticks of sugar. Unfortunately, their political incorrectness is pretty undeniable.


The best part of the whole excursion, for myself and for the kids, was that it was 100% sanctioned by Mrs. G. I think she liked the romance of the place and the way it fits into the Tenement history of the LES.





Technorati Tags: , New York City, Lower East Side

5 Comments:

Blogger Slinky Redfoot said...

candy is cigarettes for children

9:09 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth K said...

I would have been overwhelmed just as Jill was!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Mama said...

I'm in sugar overload just looking. Can't imagine having to make a choice.
Yummy.:)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Pragmatic Chaos said...

Oh my. Take me next time. That sounds amazing. I'm very intrigued by the Teany shop. Also, I LOVE it when the heavenly excursions are sanctioned. Takes the stress off. Sounds like you had an amazing day. I'm a little bit jealous.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Slot Strategy said...

You have missed the most important.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home