Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Monday, July 10, 2006

Tom Otterness

In thinking about a personalized blog design I spent a lot of time contemplating what images would be the most meaningful to include in a masthead. I mentioned in an earlier post that the artwork of Tom Otterness is very high on the list. Here are a few that I simply love. They were all taken at Rockefeller Park (a section of the Hudson River Park).


Luke loves the Dodo Bird statue, which is also a fountain. It's in a shady area of one of the playgrounds, and the water fountains only rise about 6 inches off the ground, perfect for babies who don't like to be splashed.


I love the detail of the bottle in the Monkey Mama's hand in this statue. Plus, the little people remind me of Doozers.


I'm determined to find out a bit more about Mr. Otterness's work. I'll share what I find out, especially if it explains his fascination with enormous animals and tiny little affectionate-looking people.



Technorati Tags: , , Photography, Parks, New York City

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Wow! Those are incredible, K would love them - absolutely love them. I have a couple cute pictures from B's birthday party of her on the statues at the miniture golf course! Unfortunately we don't have anything quick like that around here.

9:32 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

i LOVE the monkey one!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Slinky Redfoot said...

you should check out the "seal zoo" in East River park. Kind of ghetto but sorta cool too!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home