Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Friday, July 21, 2006

It's like Thunder and Lightning . . .

Now, I've done some internet dating, and all in all I think it's an excellent thing. That being said, I simply can't get behind the pay sites like Match or eHarmony. The little contact that I've had with men on sites such as those has not been positive, so, unless you're interested in getting married tomorrow (and you a'int picky) I don't recommend them.

One thing that I did love about Match is the table below:


During the brief period of time when I used the site I had one absolute rule: If thunderstorms didn't turn you on, you were clearly not worth talking to.


I really don't know of anything much better than a hot, sticky summer day that ends in a violent, windy, loud, crazy storm, and I believe I've felt this way all the time. Kids are often frightened by thunderstorms, but it's that delicious kind of fear that happens only with the sudden awareness of something so much bigger and stronger than yourself. Luke cowers at my feet when the thunder roars, and it's clear from his face that he's truly terrified, but once it passes his smile is more than relief.

On some level I'm even a little jealous of those out in Astoria and Westchester who are currently without power. I was in heaven during the massive power outages of 2003. Sure it was hot and we didn't have AC, but there was such delicious chaos and that unique togetherness that a community feels only when it is forced to come together.


When Luke and Drew and I opened the windows this afternoon so that we could put as little space as possible between ourselves and the violence of nature all three of us found it (yes, for a third time) delicious.



Technorati Tags: , , Storms, Internet Dating, Fear

6 Comments:

Blogger *nanny said...

sounds...well.....delicious! i'd kill for a storm over here in cali right now!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Croaker said...

I agree, thunderstorms are the coolest and those iste tend to have the wrong type of people on htem.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Betti said...

I *thrive* on summer thunderstorms!

I particularly liked the "body piercing" choice - hopefully stretched-out earlobes go under that category? I peacefully coexist with many types of "freaky" people, but I'm sooooo creeped out by large gauge piercings!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

I love thunderstorms too. Great pics! As for the dating issue, I've been married for so long I wouldn't know what to do. I'm so glad to not have to be out there looking for Mr. Right! You have to be brave these days I think. It's very different from when I was a young woman!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Slinky Redfoot said...

how about people that are as comfortable in a museum as they are in a dive bar!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Delaleuverses said...

I was just passing by, I like your blog, as for Match.com, i'm a member and I do find it to be a bit too slow. I don't like thunderstorms, I have a phobia with lightning, lol

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home