Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hump Day Goodie Report

So, it's Wednesday and we all need a little extra treat to get us over to the sunnier side of the week, right? Today Luke and I were on our own all morning (Drew is doing Gymnastic Camp in the mornings at Elite--it's a great program, if you're in the market) and we decided we needed an indulgence.


We were down by the river and I didn't want to cross back over the West Side Highway just to get something yummy to eat, so instead we popped into the Pan Latin Cafe which is located right at the corner of Chambers Street and River Terrace. I've passed the place by daily for over a year now, but somehow I've never stopped in until today. Now, however, that I've given it a try I think it'll probably be one of our regular stops.

The coffee was great (iced today, it's icky hot!) and the very nice counter person let us sample the Guava Cream Cheese Bread Pudding which was so very yummy! The register is surrounded by a huge variety of chocolates, which is lovely to see, always, but one of the great unexpected items we found was a basket full of beautiful bright colored balls. I assume they're for handball, but Luke was very happy just to chase one down the ramp to the park and watch it disappear into the river through a storm drain. Easy come, easy go!


I bought some Guava muffins and I ate mine as we walked down to the park. Luke licked his, and smiled, but didn't really eat it. It wasn't until we got down to the lawn that I realized he had a master plan. He held out his muffin to a tiny bird and said "feed birds!" Before I knew it we were attracting all the winged creatures of the park. All in all, a happy Wednesday morning for all involved.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pragmatic Chaos said...

Smart kid! That's very impressive. Giving up a yummy treat for the birds? Very cool. I don't think any of my kids would have been able to supress that sort of temptation. I think it's amazing that he can forego instant gratification like that. Good for him.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

I think he was just not that hungry. He's a great kid, but unusually selfless he's not. Maybe he's just not a guava fan.

-Annie

12:39 PM  
Blogger pinknest said...

aaaa! Guava Cream Cheese Bread Pudding?!?! my stomach just literally jerked forward screaming gimme! it looks and sounds so good.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Betti said...

Good use of unwanted food, sounds like you've got a slick kid on your hands! :)

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home