Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Here's Where I Admit to Being a Geeky Kid:

Guess what? I was one of those kids who was into dinosaurs way past the age when it was cool to be into dinosaurs. I had a computer game that was a simulation of an archaeologist's dig and I wasted priceless hours where I could have been learning to match my lipstick to my belt or other useful tid-bits that would have been so much more important when I hit my teen years. Instead I was learning about the Mesozoic period and what a carnivor is (turns out, it's me). That information has not been helpful even once past the age of twelve.

My favorite dinosaur is and was the Triceratops. I'm not sure why, other than it's just plain cool.

Listening to the news this morning brought me back to my dinosaur days, despite the fact that the news was not about dinosaurs, but rather a creature that lived a mere 12-million years ago. Archaeologists in Australia have recently unearthed the fossilized remains of a bird they have nicknamed . . . wait for it . . . the Demon Duck of Doom!!. It's a bird with close ties to the ducks that waddle around every single pond and lake of America--and the rest of the world, I assume--except with scissor-like jaws made for slicing into flesh. I worry about letting Drew near the squirrels because I'm petrified he's going to actually catch one some day (the kid is quick--pigeons present no challenge to him), now I'm grateful there aren't anymore DDDs roaming the earth. Central Park is dangerous enough as is.

Among the scientists other discoveries were two varieties of Killer Kangaroos, one with "wolf-like fangs" and the other with "big, powerful forelimbs" used for galloping. That's kind of a scary idea, because the normal kind of kangaroos we're used to seeing today aren't really known for their gentle side.

Marty the Monster, for one, is immensely relieved that natural selection bred the killer instinct out of the Roos:





Technorati Tags: , , Australia, Dinosaurs, Evolution

4 Comments:

Blogger icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Hmmmm... I never got into dinosaurs as a wee one. I was, however, into barbie way longer than it was appropriate to be. To this I attribute my flare for drama and overactive imagination. Dinos would have been far more educational. Deflate. Whaterya gonna do about it now though?

9:14 PM  
Blogger pinknest said...

that kangaroo video is hilaroius! lol! i would not want to see a killer kangaroo. ohmygoodness.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Mama said...

The Triceratops is my favorite too!

Kangaroos...naw!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I'm 21, and my love of learning about dinosaurs has NEVER grown old, or even flagged to catch its breath after racing along beside me since I was five or six years old.

I can't watch the video clip as my computer doesn't like them (don't ask. I don't know/ It should do, it just doesn't. And it doesn't have sound, anyway), but I'm sure it's good.

I just wanted to let you know, anyway, that a) I'm back, b) thank you for your lovely comment, and c) I love the ol' 3 horned guys best too.

Have a great weekend.

:-)
xxx

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home