Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July

Perhaps it is odd that this is only occurring to me now, but I realized today that I have given precious little time on this blog to mentioning one of the best parts of my job. It's not the wonderful experience of watching four beautiful children grow and learn. It's not the intense feeling of contributing to something larger than myself. No, one of the best parts of my job is that at the end of the day, I leave those beautiful children behind.


This came home to me as I lounged this evening watching the fireworks light up the cloudy New York skyline. I watched them with adults, good friends, none of whom wanted a juice box in the middle of the show, or who needed suddenly and inexplicably to go to the potty.


It's strange that my affection for the G. children, at times, is only equaled by the relief I feel at the end of a day's work when I get to leave the cacophony that the house sometimes becomes. One day, one day the children will in fact be my own, and then I suppose that I will be so blinded by love that I won't mind the fact that there is no escape, no end to the job that is motherhood. For now, however, I'm no glad to be simply the nanny, and enjoy my noisy, explosive entertainments in the peace a quiet that can only be achieved outside of a four-child household.



Technorati Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

"One day, one day the children will in fact be my own, and then I suppose that I will be so blinded by love that I won't mind the fact that there is no escape, no end to the job that is motherhood."

So they say.

Personally, I still think that sometimes it'll overwhelm and you'll wish for just five minutes of peace.

So they also say.

I mean, put it this way; *I* feel like that sometimes, and all I have is a DOG...

7:56 AM  
Blogger Library Lady said...

Nope. No matter how much you love them, you still find yourself going "whew!" when you get to JUST be a grownup.

In fact, even as I write this, I am listening to my much adored daughters (ages 7 and 11) shriek upstairs and am looking forward to tomorrow, when I go back to work!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

"I suppose that I will be so blinded by love that I won't mind the fact that there is no escape, no end to the job that is motherhood."

Bwaaa haa haa haa!!!!! Um, I doubt it.

Found you through Mom Writes and I'm enjoying your blog. Nice to see a Nanny who enjoys her job after all the horror stories you hear. My sister lives in NYC and is searching for a Nanny for her baby due next month. Know any good ones? :-)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

Ok, ok, clearly I'm caught out in a bit of overstatement. :-)

It was wishful thinking.

- Annie

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home