Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Monday, June 12, 2006

Most Obvious and Unexpected

I admit that it is certainly an example of perversion in my own character that makes me enjoy the following story, but I think I'm pretty much ok with that.

Late last year a British convenience store was the first business to use the "Mosquito", a "machine that emits an annoying sound that only youths can hear" which is designed to deter underage loiterers. When I heard about it then I thought it was somewhat mean and very degrading, but I didn't dwell on it too long, as I mainly worry about my own problems and don't intend to spend much time ever hanging around outside Welsh 7-11s.

This morning, however, I was very happy to hear that the degrade-ees have become the degraders--well, sort of.

British school kids are now using the sound as a text alert that they don't have to turn off when they're in class. Now, would I be happy about this were it being used in my own classroom (if I had one)? No, probably not. But that's a bridge to cross when I come to it. For now, I'm simply loving the irony.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger pinknest said...

it's not just british school kids! check out this article from today's nytimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/technology/12ring.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

3:21 PM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

Yes, turns out the NPR story was a replay from earlier in the year. I guess it's just another example of American culture leaching off the Brits. The empire may be gone, but they still seem to dominate when it comes to cell phone rings & reality TV.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home