Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

More on the Potty Issue

So, I've become the girl who gets emailed links by her 20-something-single-no-thoughts-of-children-in-their-heads friends all about Potty Training. Somehow I can't really see this development in my life as a good thing, but I will admit that I most certainly asked for it.

Here is the thing: YOU CANNOT POTTY TRAIN A CHILD IN ONE DAY!!!


Dr. Phil can't do it and this Potty-Pro certainly can't either. Potty training is literally about training and strengthening muscles and the connections between them and the child's brain. It simply can't happen in one day, as much as we may dream that it could or should.

I suppose that if you want to sell a book or promote a prime time TV special, praying on American parents desire to have their lives be easy & uncomplicated is the way to go. But people, are we really buying this crap? Sadly, I guess we are.

3 Comments:

Blogger DDWT said...

I couldn't agree with you more! There is so much cr*p out there about getting your child to do this and that within x days/weeks, etc and it's all rubbish.

Life's a great adventure and learning process, let the kids enjoy it like us adults.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous JGS said...

You're absolutely right! Our Okapis (3.5 yr old boy/girl twins) took quite a long time and frankly, only decided to do it - despite what we wanted - when they were ready. Once they were ready it didn't take long at all. I actually had thought we should've been more structured about it, but I was very wrong and am glad we didn't listen to me.

We tried to help them get comfortable with, we talked with them about it, we even let them come with us to the bathroom, but once they decided to do it, it happened very fast. But only because they were ready.

10:32 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

i think this is geared towards people who try to get abs in 8 minutes.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home