Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Like No Other



The G. children, as a general rule, do not watch TV. The watch videos or commercial-free, pre-recorded shows from PBS on Friday and Saturday evenings only. I think that this is a perfectly find state of affairs, for now. They're blissfully ignorant of many products, food items, toys, etc. that they would only hear about through television commercials, so Mr. & Mrs. G. and I hear less whining in stores for specific purchase requests. All in all, I'm a fan of this policy. Just not today.

Today I actually brought, on my computer, a commercial for Sam & Jill to watch. I found about the commercial (which is European) after reading a little about Jose Gonzalez, who I'm simply crazy about right now. His song, Heartbeats, is the music in the commercial, and it fits the footage wonderfully.

If you have QuickTime on your computer, I highly recommend you go here to watch the commercial, but for those of you who don't, I've included it below (but in considerably poorer quality, so the colour which is the whole point of the commercial, is kind of lost). The kids and I watched it over and over. It's wonderfully peaceful and exciting at the same time.



After I finally said that we'd watched it enough, and it was time to do something that didn't involve us all scrunched up around my tiny computer screen, Sam asked the obvious 8-year-old question, "How'd they do that?" I said simply, "They can do wonders with computers, almost anything you want." He looked at me with awe, as if it was me who could do anything I wanted, and seemed very satisfied with my answer. BUT I WAS WRONG!!

There are no special effects involved. When I tried to scare the video up on YouTube, I found this:



I felt so very Mr.-Rogers-at-the-crayon-factory when I showed it to the kids. It's a bit slow to begin with, and it runs over 6 minutes with a lot of thick British accents talking about the wonders of Sony, but it's really cool to watch. I especially loved hearing the thunderous roar the balls made coming down the street, not at all a peaceful sound.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger pinknest said...

that is AWESOME!!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger concha said...

my advertising guru teacher thinks this is the greatest ad EVER. i don't dig it though. don't know why but i don't...i'm probably worng, tho. usually am.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

You can't be wrong about what you like. That's the one thing you get to be right about ALWAYS!

:-)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Nadia said...

I love that advert. Every time its on I have to stop what I'm doing to watch it. The first time I saw it was in the cinema & it brought a tear to my eye (but I am overly emotional anyway, haha)

I loved the making-of featurette. I knew it wasn't CGI-ed anyway, but very interesting!

2:19 PM  
Blogger *nanny said...

SO DAMN COOL!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I don't have sound, so can't listen to what they're saying. I adore the advert though (no idea why) and am pleased that it was managed without any special effects.

Like *nanny said: SO DAMN COOL!

:-)

xxx

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Betti said...

That has got to be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen on a screen!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home