Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Friday, June 16, 2006

Go Ahead, Sue Me!

I truly believe that we live in an overly litigious society and that a large majority of the lawsuits that are brought by people alleging "emotional distress" or similar damages are ridiculous. However, I was not at all annoyed by this lawsuit. In case you don't know the story, Claudia Muro was arrested because of "nanny-cam" footage that seemed to show her violently shaking the 5-month-old child in her care. After Ms. Muro spent two and a half years in jail the charges were dropped because the Boca Raton-based Tyco Fire & Security finally admitted that the footage was time-lapsed, causing smooth motions to appear jerky and violent.

I hope that whatever court hears this case awards Ms. Muro a large amount of money. She lost her job, reputation and over two years of her life. She definitely deserves more than that lady who spilled coffee in her lap.


Technorati Tags: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous JGS said...

That is absolutely insane! Reading your explanation of the story my mouth literally dropped open in awe and horror. There's nothing anyone can do to get those years she lost back. That's just so horrible.

6:13 AM  
Blogger icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

I remember hearing about this story (or a similar one.)

It seems as though there would need to have been some sort of medical proof as well in order to convict her. I mean, she MUST have said that the tape was inaccurately representing her actions. Was that never investigated? Was the baby crying?

Good post. I'm really interested in reading more about this now.

I don't have a nanny (ah but in a dream world) so it's not something I can imagine worrying about. Because my children are so small (9 months and 2 years) I simply do not ever leave them with anyone other than my mother or my mother in law. The end. If I would like to do something and one of those people can not watch my ladies than I don't do it. When my children are able to communicate very articulately and report the way they are being treated with confidence, I will take the bold move in allowing other people to watch over them.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

She wasn't convicted ever. The case had not gone to trial, and she was being held in prison because she did not have the money to post bail. I'm not exactly sure why she didn't recieve the "speedy trial" we're supposed to have a right to. I will admit that I don't have all the facts on the case.

I don't think it would surprise anyone to know that I'm not really for nanny-cams. First of all, I wouldn't like to be taped without my knowlege. More importantly, if I was working for parents that did not trust me with their child, it would be time to move on. The parents in this case were suspicious that abuse was occuring. I think any parent in that situation needs to immediately seek out a new nanny. Imagine if the woman was in fact abusing the baby and the parents took the time to install the cameras to try to catch her in the act. What if the child had died during that time? I honestly believe that the parents would have been culpable in their own child's death.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home