Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ciao Bella!


Yesterday Luke and I wandered down to the World Financial Center with the expressed purpose of visiting the brand new Ciao Bella Gelateria.

I made the mistake of asking "Do you want to go and get ice cream?" while we were still at the apartment, so the walk down along the river through Rockefeller Park was marred by the constant repetition of "Lukey ice cream! Lukey ice cream!" in an increasingly panicked tone. But, despite his fears that the world might end before he got his ice cream, we did arrive. Usually we can spend hours looking at all the big boats in the North Cove but today we rushed on past to get to our sugar fix as fast as possible.


The selection is pretty big. After I obtained a sweet, tiny cup of simple strawberry for Mr. Luke (and he was suddenly, blissfully silent), I sampled took my time Hazelnut Biscotti, Malted Milk Ball and Fresh Mint.


In the end, however, I settled on what I'd come in search of a sugar cone of Triple Espresso. I love coffee ice cream, and for conventional purposes Bryers is my favorite, but the Ciao Bella Triple Espresso Gelato is a wonderful indulgence.

Here's one caveat about the CB brand, it's a wonderful indulgence, yes, but not an inexpensive one. Luke and I both ordered the smallest sizes, and I was kind of shocked when I handed the cashier a 10 dollar bill and all I got back was a couple of coins.

On a hot sticky day like yesterday was, there is almost nothing better than sitting with my little man in the air conditioned Winter Garden eating gelato and people watching. Our favorite find of the day was this tour guide who, unlike most of the WFC tour guides who carry big red umbrellas to make themselves easily seen, he chose a huge green light saber. We told him he was very cool as we exited the building & headed to the water park.




Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger pinknest said...

oooh! how refreshing. that strawberry one looks pretty good. did you try it?

light saber! hilarious.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Betti said...

I'm glad you got a picutre of the light-saber-wielding tour guide, that was a fantastic image to share with the blogosphere. :)

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home