Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Big Words

When I was a new reader I'd often come up against a word that I didn't know. When this happened I'd inevitably go to my mother and say "What does prosimian mean?" Instead of simply replying, "Well Annie, prosimian is a suborder of Primates that includes various primitive groups, lemuroids, lorisoids, and tarsioids," my mother, with the same of infuriating lack of compassion towards an inquisitive but fundamentally lazy mind, would say "Go and look it up."

Now that I'm the one being asked about words like "rogue" and "contrary" that Sam & Jill should definitely know, at least by the time they're old enough to be out at Denny's at 3 AM, I am trying to keep in mind the need for instant gratification that growing brains feel.

Google makes this pretty easy with their SMS features. All I have to do is text "define:" and then the word we're wondering about and I get an almost instant message back with all the definitions I'd get doing a regular Google "define" search. Plus, the kids think I'm oh so tech-savvy.


Technorati Tags: , , , , Education

2 Comments:

Anonymous Your mother said...

Computers are great, and people are investigating lots of things they might not have done before. But it makes me sad to think that the joy of getting "lost" in a dictionary may soon be lost forever!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Nanny in New York said...

I think you might remember that I treated the dictionary as a particularly nasty patch of poison ivy, so I'm afraid I don't share your nostalgia.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home