Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Urban Scavenger Hunt, Part Two


Jill has a friend who lives in Brooklyn and on Friday the boys and I took her out there for a visit. While she played Luke, Drew, Sam and I explored one of my new favorite places, the Greenwood Cemetery. I don't have any creepy associations with graveyards, and this one is such a gem!

Once again I used the camera as entertainment and turned it over to the boys with instructions to go out and find their own names on the tombstones (and their "names", which was a little confusing to them, but they embraced it nonetheless). Here are our findings:





There are a great deal of weird things going on at the cemetery, and I'm definitely going to have to go and explore one day sans children. I have thing feeling that, without 3 screaming boys, it would be such a peaceful place. The views of Manhattan are gorgeous, and some of the memorials are wonderfully strange and beautiful. I highly recommend it as an excursion if you're nearby.

2 Comments:

Blogger *nanny said...

i love cemeteries. when i was in london, there was a very old one right behind our flat. i took lots of pictures there and loved just being in the cemetery itself. people would go and sit and eat lunch and watch the birds and just enjoy the goregous weather. it's one of my favorite things about my trip. you can get fantastic pictures and have a peaceful experience!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Me said...

Do you remember when you were little and we would ride through the cemeteries? You and your sisters always wanted me to read the names to you from the headstones.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home