Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Harmful UV Rays vs. Harmful Social Stigma

Everyday Urbanbaby sends me an email. I usually ignore them, and when I make the mistake of actually reading I frequently regret it. That was the case a few days ago when I learned about Frubis, a product UB would like me to believe is truly essential.



Now, I'm sure I could apply myself to my job a tad bit more and go that extra mile to make sure that Luke's retinas are protected from the sun's harmful rays at all times. But I have to tell you, I would keep him wrapped up in a blanket from head to foot long before I subjected him to the shame of Frubis baby sunglasses. No self respecting baby would be seen dead in them. Look at the kid in the ad! That baby is going to be pulling it's head out of a locker room toilet in 8 or 9 years, you mark my word.

The Frubis ads are a bit sensational as well:
Last year, I saw a young 6-year-old boy on a Friday afternoon that was poked in the eye by a branch while playing in the yard. When I examined him under the microscope, I was expecting to see a scratched cornea, but was disheartened to find that the branch had completely penetrated through the cornea and had severely damaged the lens, causing a white cataract to form. Frubi Shades are made with a tough polycarbonate material that offers great protection from flying objects and lenses made of glass are usually tempered and treated so as not to shatter when struck. The bottom line is that wearing good sunglasses can prevent serious injuries, so wear them!

Perhaps I should ask Mrs. G. if she'd like me to encase Luke, and the other kids while I'm at it, in a coating of stainless steel. They'll be the most indestructible kids at the park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home