Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Top Chef's greatest fear

iTunes totally has my number. I currently watch both Conviction and Top Chef because iTunes debuted their pilot episodes gratis. The truth of the matter is that I liked both genres long before those pleasure-peddlers at Apple offered me a taste for free, so I suppose I can't lay blame with them. Anyway, the point is I'm addicted to Top Chef and I'm not (that) ashamed to admit it.

This last weeks episode couldn't have been more perfectly up my alley. The chefs were tasked with cooking a meal featuring monkfish for a group of 8-12 year-olds--and believe me, I felt for them. Cooking for kids can be extremely tough, and in this case, it wasn't helped by the obligatory beautiful host (Katie Lee Joel, who is very attractive, but who the heck is she?) who really riled the kids up and had them thrusting their fingers down their throats before they even were served.

While I can understand completely feeling intimidated at having to cook for and attempt to please a large anonymous group of kids, I got so upset with some of the contestants' attitudes towards the children. If you know anything about food and eating, you should know that as people age they lose sensitivity in their tastebuds. The reason things like coffee, alcohol, bitter greens, dark chocolate, and rare meats are thought of as "acquired tastes" is not because adults acquire anything that they lacked as children, but rather the opposite. The chefs should have been frightened at the prospect of feeding a group of kids, but not for the reasons they were. Kids will taste every element of your dishes and they're not inclined to mince words about what they don't like.

I'm sure that my little blog is not going to end the very common practice of talking down to children, but I absolutely hate the hypocrisy of people like Tiffani & Steven on this show. It's one thing to lament the fact that this country just shoves MacDonalds and other fast food items down kids' throats to keep them happy, in some ways that's true. It's another thing entirely to waste an excellent opportunity to communicate your love of food because you can't get over your own pomposity.

Ok, I feel a bit better now.

Picture courtesy of Just Hungry.

1 Comments:

Blogger MollyNanny said...

You are a wise woman. You honor the people that children are. Confidence is built from being taken seriously. We applaud your position.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home