Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"Please let there be a picture!"

That is exactly what I was thinking after I opened an email that contained this link. When the headline "Boy gets caught in toy-filled 'claw' machine" came up at the top of the screen I could hardly contain my excitement. Thankfully, there was, in fact, this picture (thank you ubiquitous camera phones!):



My favorite part of this story is that the boy was pretty happy with what he'd done, and not so pleased with the rescue efforts.

When the 3-year-old Austin boy crawled through the discharge chute of a Toy Chest claw machine at a Godfather's Pizza here, he ended up on the other side of the glass surrounded by stuffed animals. Rescuers had to pry the door open to get Devin out, though the boy was in no hurry to leave. "When we got it open, he didn't want to come out," Fire Chief Dan Wilson said Tuesday. "One of my firefighters had to reach inside and get him. He was happy in there."

I don't believe in any kind of corporal punishment. However, if I was mom Heidi Haskin, I might be thinking long and hard about that principle when I got little Devin safely home.

Apparently, crawling inside the claw machines is a popular pastime. A 7-year-old in Sheboygan climbed into an even bigger claw machine in 2004. And guess what? There's pictures of that one too!



Parents in the US are so quick to raise their voices collectively against TV shows like Jackass that encourage poor, sweet, impressionable American children to do foolish things. Why is it that no one is up in arms with Pixar over this. These kids are clearly offering themselves up to The Claw who decides who will go and who will stay. No wonder Devin didn't want to go with the fireman.

1 Comments:

Blogger dom said...

I love happy stories like this , as you saw on my blog :) Thanks for the visit.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home