Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Is this the "Backlash"? Part One

A short time ago, after a conversation in which I described this adorable onesie to my friend G. he informed me that he thought the "backlash" was imminent. I asked, "the backlash against iPods?" To which he, very matter of factly replied, "No, silly. Against babies!"

I explained to G. (since apparently someone had to) the inextricable link between babies and certain very popular sex acts, that being my main reason for believing this "backlash" is a figment of his imagination. People will always have babies, therefore babies will always be a visible (and frequently vocal) part of our culture. It's one of those few things about the evolution of human existence that can be pretty much relied upon. (I guess that is, up until the point at which we can grow full grown people like space monkeys, but I'm not going to contemplate that world.)

So, having established that I do not believe there is a "baby backlash" on its way, I was kind of surprised to find myself very intrigued by the writing debut of Adrianne Frost, a former Daily Show correspondent and a contributor to VH1's Best Week Ever (which, in my world, is about as impressive as it gets resume-wise). The book, I Hate Other People's Kids, purports to deliver
"a complete handbook for navigating a world filled with tiny terrors -- and their parents."
While I may trend more towards the parental side in terms of my quickness to discuss Luke's cute antics or even whip out pictures at a restaurant (thank you, iPod, for making that process wallet-free), even I am occasionally annoyed by children in places where I don't feel they belong (a midnight showing of The Hills Have Eyes, for example).

Perhaps this book (and my vocal, child-hating friends) is signaling not a backlash against children, but rather a backlash about the trend of allowing those children free reign--especially in public places. Once, in my past lifetime as a waitress/hostess, I had a rather snippy phone conversation with a mother who told me that she must have a table on the ground level. When I informed her that I could make no guarantees about where she would be seated, she told me that it was dangerous to let her children run around near the steps. She was incensed when I informed her that it was dangerous for her to let her children to run around in any part of the restaurant.

So . . . is the backlash coming? I don't really know, but I've got my hands on a copy of Ms. Frost's book, and I intend to review it in part two of this posting. In the meantime, here is a quote that I know at least G. agrees with wholeheartedly:
"They say Jesus loved the little children, all the children of the world, but he never had to dine with one. He chose the lepers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home