Nanny in NYC

A modern day Mary Poppins

Friday, March 24, 2006

Any publicity . . .

If you're employed as a nanny and your name is in the news I can guarantee you one thing: It's not good news. Chances are you've hurt or harmed a child or done something heinous that was caught on a nannycam. If you're lucky, maybe it was only morally reprehensible and not plain illegal. (I know I can be very critical of other people's behavior, but for the record: Daisy Wright, I do not blame you one bit.)

It wasn't until today when I saw this little news item that I began to think about how it's pretty much the same for parents. When do they make the news for the good things they do? Sure, there are anomalies but for the most part the stories you see are about all the terrible things parents can, purposefully or not, do to their children.

I'm proud to say that I've never actually left a child in a car. I don't think I've ever left a child behind anywhere (I'm not going to make the ubiquitous No Child Left Behind joke, it's too easy & too sad). But that doesn't mean that I didn't immediately feel a sympathy pain when I read that dad's story. I know that sudden "uh-oh" feeling. It happens with wallets and keys for everyone, I'm sure, but when it's associated with a child it's amplified 100 times over. It usually comes over me at the park when there are hundreds of children running around and I suddenly realize that I haven't seen Sam for a while. Panic seizes me immediately, and even if I find him right away I'm left with this surge of useless adrenaline.

This incident happened on Thursday morning, I wonder if that poor father's heartrate has returned to normal yet. Ultimately I can't blame him too harshly (although I can't help but imagine what might have happened if it was August instead of March). I'm sure his wife is judging him harshly enough for all of us.



Oh, and just 'cause I'm thinking about it, here's a little eye candy for those of us who aren't lucky enough to be Ms. Miller or her nanny:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home